bed and breakfast inn McCloud
inn bed and breakfast McCloud

history

bed and breakfast inn McCloud California

McCloud River Inn was built in 1903 by the McCloud River Lumber Company and originally served as their administrative offices and the town bank. The telephone switchboard for McCloud's telephone system was also located here. The original building was about half the current size.

In August 1906 a new addition measuring 33' by 36' was built onto the main building. The Mccloud River Lumber Company made further improvements to the north side, adding four more office spaces in September 1920.

For the residents and employees of McCloud, this building served as a hub of commerce. Prospective employees would come to this location for most job applications. The housing department would assign homes from here, pay checks were cashed at the bank, timber harvests were planned, and the daily mill operations were all coordinated from this office.

One quiet morning in August 1917, five gun shots were heard in rapid succession coming from the bank. Two men were then seen running from the bank after attempting to rob it. They had gotten spooked when the teller reached for a weapon. The exchange of gunfire got the attention of some hunters who were nearby. As the hunters realized what was happening, they fired upon the robbers, shooting one of them in the foot. The injured robber was later found shot in the head. It was assumed he was killed by his partner because he could no longer travel on the wounded foot.

Mount Shasta

In September 1963, U.S. Plywood Company purchased the mill, the railroad and the town. They continued to operate the mill and railroad, with this building continuing to serve as the administrative offices. John W. Galbreath and Company bought the town from U.S. Plywood and began to sell the houses to those living in them. The administrative office continued to be their company's headquarters.

Champion International, the lumber company owner at the time, announced in 1979 that the mill would be closing. The mill was closed by Christmas of that year, but they maintained ownership of this building and other property for many years. The old offices were then leased to a timber management company.

The building received its historic designation in March 1990 by the State Office of Historic Preservation.

The old Champion International office building was purchased by the Mort and Sweeney families in January 1994 with plans to convert it into a bed and breakfast. The restoration and renovations were completed in June 1995, and the McCloud River Inn Bed and Breakfast opened for business with five lovely guest rooms. Great pain was taken during the restoration to preserve the historic integrity and charm of the building and era.

The inn is currently run by Mike and Ursula Weatherford, who have managed the inn since 2003. Current owners are the Sweeney and De Vilbiss families.

For additional history on the town of McCloud, please visit www.mccloudchamber.com.

”.